Griffin & his brothers

Boys, boys, boys

I was scheduled for a c-section on May 2nd, so Matt and I were caught completely off-guard when my water broke late at night on April 13th. My mom came over to stay with Griffin while we went to the hospital. During the commotion of us trying to scramble to get some essentials thrown into a bag, Griffin woke up and called for me. I told him that Daddy and I were going to the doctor to check on the babies but that Mimi could snuggle with him. Baylor was born at 3:47am on April 14th, and Hudson followed just two minutes behind at 3:49am. Baylor was 4 pounds 15 ounces and 17.5 inches. His "little" brother Hudson was 5 pounds 7 ounces and 18.25 inches. Matt was able to hold Baylor for a few minutes, but he only got to hold Hudson for 30 seconds because he was having breathing issues. They laid Baylor on my chest briefly while they stitched me back up. Little did I know that it would be 12 hours later before I would see Baylor again and almost 18 hours later before I would see Hudson. Hudson had already been taken to Children's Hospital, and Baylor was in the nursery at Fort Sanders under the warmer. I couldn't go to the nursery since I wasn't allowed out of bed yet, but everyone else could see Baylor and take pictures to bring back and show me. Matt was able to take one visitor with him to Children's to see Hudson. In this picture, he has the nasal cpap, but it had already been removed by the time I was able to visit him.After getting the call that the babies had arrived early, Aunt Holly dropped off a Big Brother shirt for Griffin to wear to school. He was so excited to share the news that he ran down the hall to his classroom and ripped open his jacket to proudly show his shirt to his teachers. Matt picked him up early from school and brought him to the hospital. Baylor was still in the nursery under the warmer so Griffin was only able to see him through the nursery windows that first day. He could remember Hudson's name since Doc Hudson is a character in Disney's Cars, Griffin's favorite movie, but he was having trouble remembering Baylor's name. If you listen carefully to the video, you'll hear him ask more than once, "What's his name again?"


Unfortunately, Griffin came down with a fever the next day so he wasn't able to visit the hospital. For the next 5 days, I had three boys in three different places. Griffin was finally better by Wednesday and was able to meet one of his brothers.

Since Hudson was free of his IV and feeding tube, we were able to take Griffin to see him through the NICU window. Griffin was very excited about getting to see his other brother for the very first time. He was standing on his tip-toes watching and waiting for the nurse to bring Hudson over. But since Griffin could only look at him through the glass, the excitement didn't last long and he was ready to get a treat from the hospital cafeteria as promised. The next day, Baylor and I went home. It was good to get home to Griffin, but it was bittersweet since I still didn't have all of my boys together.

No comments: